CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Walking in Love

How else do I say it? Walking in love isn't all that easy!!!

For the past year now, I feel that God has been teaching me the impotance of "Walking in Love". Most of the time when I am conscious about this particular subject, it is right when I am in the middle of a conversation where I am running off at the mouth saying exactly what I shouldn't be... am I ringing any bells?
Roll with me for a minute... I am not saying that I am a gossip or even a back stabber. I try very hard not to get involved in conversations that rally around those sort of things. I am just saying that sometimes I wrap my mouth around a thought that goes too far. In the end, there are names mentioned and opinions stated that maybe shouldn't have been.
I think it's fair to say that girls can get a little out of hand where chatting is concerned and although I consider myself to be a little less chatty than most, I do have my fair share of regrets in this department. I am reminded of what Paul writes in Romans 7:15 " I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do, but what I hate, I do it." I so understand what he is saying here. After I over do things in conversation, I usually go through a time of beating myself up and then make determined statements that I will never open my mouth in public again. It's never very long before I find myself in another conversation, saying things I shouldn't be saying... AGAIN & AGAIN & AGAIN! It's a vicious cycle, and I don't know if it ever ends.
There is a part of the love walk that I tend to over look. When I think about all the things I shouldn't be saying, I am overwhelmed because I know that I can never not say everything. And although I am not giving myself carte blanche to just say whatever I want to say, I am suggesting that maybe I'm going about it all wrong. Instead of focusing all my efforts on what not to do and say, I will choose to walk in love toward others when they say what they shouldn't say and there is plenty of opportunity for me to do that. hehe
Recently, I was made aware of a series of things that were said about me by people who obviously got caught up in their feelings and said some things they probably shouldn't have. On any normal day, I wouldn't think twice about being angry toward them and holding a grudge. However, with the help of the Holy Spirit, I chose to forgive them and found it to be quite liberating. I was able to be friendly with them instead of being tormented by a feeling of betrayal. I have to be honest and say that it wasn't the easiest thing to do...at first, but after a while, I really saw that forgiving them was the best thing I could have done. Besides, how selfish of me to think that I could hold anything against someone else when I too need a little grace every now and then.

4 comments:

Jen said...

yyyyyyyoooooooouch! That hurts. The truth is supposed to hurt though, right? I know I don't have to tell you that I KNOW what you're talking about here. I actually repented on the way home from your house Friday night about something I let "slip" that I totally shouldn't have. And like you said, I swore myself to shut-mouth-ness from here on out. I asked myself over and over..Why? WHy? WHY? do I have such a problem with blabbing stuff that doesn't need to be blabbed? ARH!! BTW, if your wondering what specifc thing I am referring to...its the situation I told ya'll about that happened with my mom. It was just told to me by her in confidence and I never should have opened my mouth about it. If word got around before she was able to resolve the situation herself...it would BREAK her HEART.
Anyhow, this was terrific post and something that I struggle with big time. I hope that I will be in tune enough to hear the Holy Spirit and recognize the "check" He sends before I mess up again!
Love ya chicky!
Ps. I am SO SO SUPER sorry for anything I've ever done to hurt your feelings.
Just know that when Ido something like this...it is never preconceived...it's just me having an air head moment.

smiling's my favorite said...

Hey Beautful. This is your hubby. I admire your courage to post something that everyone deals with, including men not just women. The only person that comes to mind who's love walk was perfect was Jesus Himself. So with that said thank God for giving us the Holy Spirit who can help lead us and guide us when it comes to our love walk. We need to learn how to forgive as Chirst did and when we do like you said it is liberating. Well I love you and keep on bloggin.

tori said...

ok, ok. i am posting a comment. you know me well enough to know that i deal with this all the time. i am 100% guilty. however, i am proud to say that i have learned (with correction of the holy spirit) how to "think" before i speak. i have seen myself and you grow over the past year and a half with our love walk. it is great to know that the lord puts people in our lives to keep us in "check" and i am so glad that it's you!!!!! thanks for posting this as a reminder to walk in love at all times....
love you!
t

Domestic Diva said...

Brother Hagin ALWAYS preached walking in love..."if your faith isn't working, how's your love walk?" That can really hinder God moving in our lives. I too struggle with the very same thing....arruuugghhh! I sympathize with you! I have recently been in a situation where I needed to forgive...but didn't want to....but I heard a preacher the other day that said, "Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die."

I think as women, we really struggle...some more then others...but it is good to know that I am not alone!

Miss y'all!